Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wedding Planning

To say that I'm an unconventional bride would be correct. You know those rules you always find about everything you HAVE to do as soon as you get engaged, well I didn't do them.

I still have yet to nail down a budget. Now that's not to say I have an unlimited budget but my parents know I'm wise with money and very do it myself so it never was an issue. Is it for everyone, probably not, but it is nice not to have to stress about fitting things into a certain dollar amount. 

My parents also aren't paying for the whole wedding. They just moved, payed off all their debt and are starting over, Jeremiah and I didn't want to put that burden on them. So Jeremiah and I are paying for half of the wedding.

I didn't go to a bridal salon to try on dresses, that whole aspect never appealed to me. I was one of those brides who bought her dress offline, is it perfect? yep! everything I ever dreamed of? you better believe it.

 I didn't give myself a year to plan a wedding, I gave myself 4 months, and to be quite honest I think that ended up being a little to long, you see I'm a type A personality I like lists and I like to get things done quickly so most of the wedding planning is already done and now I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs thinking about how long two more months seems. 

I didn't pick a day that had special meaning, or was convenient for everyone, I picked a day when I was sure I wasn't going to be on my period. Yep that's the only reason our wedding is on March 9th, I didn't want to be doubled over with cramps. 

We aren't having the wedding in my hometown. We're having the wedding in a little town I've never been to, and where we know zero people. Why? Well it is where Jeremiah is working and living now so it was convenient for us for after the wedding, and it was a more central location for all our family and friends to travel to.

We're not honeymooning right after the wedding, we're doing it a month after. Jeremiah gets a week off every month so rather than asking for more time off we decided to just plan it on the week he has off in April.

So if you're an unconventional bride like me don't feel bad about breaking those so called rules, it's your day do what makes you happy. Here's to being engaged and planning the wedding of your dreams!






14 comments:

  1. New Follower!! Found on you on the GFC Link up! Love your blog.. if you have time, stop by www.kjaggers.com and if you like what you see.. follow back! Happy New Year! K Jaggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found my blog, thanks for stopping by!
      -Maia

      Delete
  2. we had a very unconventional wedding as well, and it could get very stressful at time as everyone tried to put society's expectations on us. but it's YOUR GUYS' DAY so do what you want and own it! best of luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower as well. I tried to send you an email about ad swapping, not sure if you got it, but your button's up on my blog! :) I loved this post. And we honeymooned three months after our wedding and I prefer it that way! When you get into your place together and have all this new stuff to put away, it's exciting in and of itself. You WANT to be home! I loved the first few week's of being married and it didn't bug me that I wasn't honeymooning yet. Then after settling into the house and taking care of the thank you cards THEN I got to go on my honeymoon. It was like being spoiled rotten for three straight months...wedding,HUSBAND, house, gifts, vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, I was having trouble with my contact page, but I think I finally got it figured out! Your button is up now!
      I'm so looking forward to having some time at home putting everything away and enjoying being married before going on our honeymoon. People think it's odd but I don't mind!

      Delete
  4. Hurray for not following "rules"! I picked a wedding date based on when the church was available...it was a week before final exams, I didn't care. And it was just two months away from the day that I chose the date...which was also fun, and we didn't honeymoon until 6 months after the wedding...i wouldn't have had it any other way! I'm sure you're wedding will be awesome, and scheduling it based on the "time of the month" is a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, I told my best friend who got engaged the day before me my plan and she thought it was genius, so she's doing that as well haha!
      -Maia

      Delete
  5. Just found your cute blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I actually started following you earlier this week, I came across your blog somewhere (can't remember where), your blog is lovely!
      -Maia

      Delete
  6. HAHAHA!!!! I love that you planned it on a day you won't have your period. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do, right?! Hahaha!
      -Maia

      Delete
  7. I wish I had your personality/planning skills when I was planning my wedding! I tried to spread it out over the 11 months we were going to be engaged and I ended up putting stuff off for way too long..not fun in the last month when I was rushing things. And non-conventional is awesome!It's your day, do what you want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea my problem has been trying to spread it out over the four months and not cramming it all at the beginning, it's a curse sometimes.
      -Maia

      Delete

I love reading all your sweet words, so comment away and I'll do my best to respond to each and every one of you!

Pin It button on image hover