Friday, January 11, 2013

Wedding Card Box DIY

I'm sure you've seen this idea floating around Pinterest. 
I loved it so much I decided to try and recreate it for myself.

This would be a much simpler project if you started with a black mail box.
However I decided to use one my grandpa made when my dad was a little boy so I had to paint it black. 
 This was my starting point, I had to wipe it down and clean it out really well to make sure the paint went on smoothly.
 These were the paints I used. The red and grey are our wedding colors.
 I covered the flag so that when I spray painted the body black this wouldn't get any paint on it.
 I had to do a couple coats to get the black even all the way around.
Tip: Don't let anyone move it to your dusty basement. Because then the paint will get ruined, and you'll have to sand it down and start all over again.
Not that it happened to me or anything...
Because I didn't trust myself to free hand it I found a font online that I liked, downloaded it and then cut our names out.
 I taped our names on and made sure they were straight with a piece of paper.
I painted the flag, making sure to cover behind it so it didn't splatter onto the black.
 I painted the names twice to make sure I covered it well enough.
Ta Da! The finished result. I love it, it turned out really well.
 I think it will be the perfect addition to our gift table at the reception.


6 comments:

  1. So cute! That will be fun! I don't even remember what we had people put cards into at our wedding....obviously we didn't do something as cool and creative as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out!
      -Maia

      Delete
  2. You did a wonderful job on that mailbox and its such and adorable idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. it's cute ! super duper lovely I think <3

    found you from the i love my post hop. new follower :)
    please follow mine if you don't mind :) xx

    Rossy
    beautyfoodlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you found my blog!
      -Maia

      Delete

I love reading all your sweet words, so comment away and I'll do my best to respond to each and every one of you!

Pin It button on image hover