Monday, January 14, 2013

How I stay organized enough to plan a Wedding in 4 Months

  

When I tell my friends that I'm planning a wedding in four months, the responses I usually get are "Are you crazy?", "You're pregnant aren't you?" and "How do you stay organized and get everything done in 4 months?"
First of all I've never claimed to be normal so that crazy part might be true, and secondly no way is there any chance I'm pregnant. Now to answer how I stay organized.
When we first started dating I always told Jeremiah that I would need a year to plan, but when we got engaged both of us were tired of long distance and not willing to do it for another year. 
So I reevaluated how much time it would honestly take me to plan a wedding, and we decided four months would be enough time.

1. Decide what you want:
 The first thing I did was decide exactly what aspects I wanted to include in our wedding.
This will give you a starting point on when you need to get things done.
For example I decided fresh flowers were unnecessary so that eliminated needing to meet and talk with a florist. I also decided to decorate my own cake eliminating the need to meet with a baker but also adding time for me to brush up on my cake decorating skills. I knew I wanted a good photographer so that was something I would need to start looking for right away. Decide what you want and what is most important to you, this is critical for planning a wedding in a short time, otherwise you'll get disorganized and try to do too many things at once.

2. Wedding Planner and Lists:
Now that you know what you want included in your wedding day you can make a wedding planner designed specifically for your wedding. I was not at all picky on a planner because I knew there were a lot of printouts from the internet I wanted.
The lists I included were:
Basic Checklists
Vendor Payment
Sample Timeline
Vendor Questions
Real Simple Wedding Magazine had a nice checklist in it as well.
This website has a nice list for planning a wedding in 3 months that gave me some ideas on when I should get things done. I'm not Mormon so obviously not everything applied to me but it was a good jumping off point since most wedding to do lists are based on a year planning time.
I also bought a little notebook I can fit in my purse, I jot down everything in there, prices from stores, things that still need to get done, notes from talking to vendors and I even have the rough drafts for our wedding invitations written in there. That way it is all in one place and I can take it everywhere with me, if there is something that needs to be transferred to my big wedding planner I do it right away.

3. Know your Limits:
I went through my Pinterest board and the pages I had booked marked on my computer only ONCE.
I made a list of the crafts I wanted to do, and left it at that. I knew that if I kept going through it I would find more and more that I wanted to do and overload myself.
There is only one exception to this rule, if I know there is something I want and can't find it exactly then I'll turn to Pinterest to see if I can find anything there. Etsy is also a great place if you have a bunch of DIY projects that you love but can't get to all of them, most likely there is someone on Etsy selling what you want.
Yes it will probably cost more than what it would if you did it yourself but think of it this way, your saving yourself time and stress.

4. Delegate, Delegate, Delegate:
I cannot stress this point enough. People are happy that you're getting married, they want to help so don't be afraid to ask. I gave my lovely maid of honor the task of finding bridesmaid dresses, my future mother in law is in charge of finding the groomsmen wear, she's also planning our second reception, the pastors wife is in charge of all the food and Jeremiah has been doing all the foot work for our venue since I've never been there. Having these things taken care of is a huge relief, I can now focus my attention elsewhere.

These are the 4 main things that help me stay focused and organized enough to pull off a wedding in four months.
 If you've planned a wedding in under a year what are some tips you used to stay organized?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Maia! You'd think that planning a wedding in four months would be stressful, but you make it sound SO doable! I look forward to seeing and hearing how everything came together in a few months!

    Found you through the "Tell me about it Tuesday" linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really isn't as stressful as most people think and it is definitely doable!
      -Maia

      Delete
  2. I planned my wedding in 3 1/2 months... and oh boy was that fun. Way to be so organized and on top of it! It will make your life so much less stressful. haha Your picture of you and your man is way cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would have liked it to only be 3 months, but my wedding dress is being made for me and it takes about three months so we had to make it a little longer.
      -Maia

      Delete

I love reading all your sweet words, so comment away and I'll do my best to respond to each and every one of you!

Pin It button on image hover